I can't believe we are already into the 5th week of the One Room Challenge! This week, I tackled the window situation in B's room.
I had hung his striped nursery curtains in the room when I moved him over to his current room, so the big hardware needed to come down. After I took it down, the wall had several holes in it from the wall anchors. I got out my drywall repair kit to fix it up.
Don't tell my mom I *may* have used a silver butter knife to spread the spackle.
It really is easy to patch small holes in drywall. You just spread the spackle over the holes, filling them in as well as you can, and then wait a few hours for it to dry.
Then you use a fine-grit sandpaper and sand it completely smooth. The dried spackle will stay in the holes.
Then just touch it up with paint, and your walls are as good as new (although obviously I would avoid hanging something in the patched/ filled area).
So enough of the gritty part- let's talk about the pretty part!
Instead of heavy panels, I had a roman shade made with the Quadrille blue and white fabric. This fabric was a splurge, but I trimmed it in really inexpensive red grosgrain ribbon. I love using trim on roman shades when the shades are either a solid fabric or have a small-scale pattern.
When I am hanging shades for clients, I always engage a professional installer. But I have watched them do it so many times that I figured we could do it ourselves. I had the shade made to be mounted all the way up to the molding, to make the ceilings look high, and outside the window frame. I knew that the window is always mounted in studs, so it was easy to find studs in which to hang it (this is very important, since a roman shade is really functional. You don't want someone to yank it off the wall!).
My handsome installer got to work with the drill and L brackets, and he had it hung in no time!
Without showing too much of the room...
Stay tuned next week for art and accessories! We're almost there!!!
Be sure to check out the progress of the other ORC girls this week!