Now that we've progressed to Week 4, it's bed time!
The headboards arrived from the upholsterer, and I couldn't be happier with them! The red linen has a pretty texture, and I love the contrast piping in a natural linen.
You can also see a picture of the oriental rug layered over the seagrass.
While there were twin beds initially in the room, I decided this was a good time to upgrade and update the twin beds, so I ordered a new pair of box springs and mattresses. A nice man delivered them and set them up (and probably thought I was crazy photographing him while he worked, although the photographing was nothing compared to B's hysteria when he thought we were getting rid of his crib. Poor little guy hates change.)
First the box spring:
Then the mattress. It's so soft and comfy! I'm hoping these will last B until he goes off to college.
I mentioned before that I opted to have the upholsterer make just the headboards, not the rails and footboard, in an effort to save money and space. My seamstress made beautiful red bedskirts in the same linen as the headboard, and I think they really have a similar effect to an upholstered bed. They are very tailored with simple pleats at the corners and in the middle.
Now, to make the bed. I found aqua diamond sheets at Serena and Lily. Their sheets really are great quality for the price. And they were on sale- even better!
For the coverlet, I chose basic white from Ikea. You might think I am crazy to use white bedding in a 3-year old's room, but it is so easy to wash and bleach. I honestly find white bedding easier to keep clean than any other, since it can be bleached. I found a matelasse pattern that isn't too feminine and has square edges instead of scalloped. The price was right (I think around $40 per coverlet?), so I grabbed them!
A close-up of the wavy pattern.
And now the fun part- making the bed pretty!
I had a pair of throw pillows made in the Quadrille fabric that is going on the window.
I also found these shams at Serena and Lily that have the same aqua border. I was initially going to have them monogrammed, but that is going to wait for now since the Quadrille pillows cover up the center of the shams.
The colors are just right!
And on the bed!
After trying things a couple of different ways, I opted against the zebra ottomans and decided to use my FAVORITE Missoni (for Target) throws on each bed. They are so soft and warm- definitely the best purchase I've ever made from Target. You can still find them on eBay, but they are pretty pricey now.
So, the beds are made! I can't wait to share more with you next week!
Be sure to check out the exciting progress of the other ORC girls!