I have an expansive wall in my living room that has always bothered me. On the left side of the wall is an upright piano- it's a visually heavy piece, but it is so large that I would not want to center it on the wall, because it would create an awkward seating arrangement. Since it's such a heavy piece, a tall secretary or other piece of furniture with height would just be too much along that wall. So I used art and sconces to add height without too much heaviness. I have tried so many different arrangements, but none have really left me satisfied.
I fell in love with Albert Hadley sitting room that I saw on Habitually Chic the other week. Specifically, his use of moulding to create height, depth, and visual interest on this (beige) wall inspired me. I am not a designer, and I have never used moulding before, but I was determined to recreate this idea in my living room.
So I cleared my furniture away from the wall and started measuring. I had to work with the piano in terms of measuring, knowing that the moulding "box" would need to be in the center of the room and not overlap with the piano at all.
I would need to fit two slipper chairs and the white faux bamboo table within the moulding box.To be centered in the room and 6-inches from the existing moulding, the box would need to be 98-inches across and 78-inches tall.
My husband, baby boy, and I went to Lowe's early Saturday morning to buy the moulding. I just went with simple thin moulding- my sweet husband spent at least an hour cutting the moulding to size with the dull communal saw and mitre box.
He was so sweet and patiently helped me hang all the moulding in accordance with my pencil marks all over the walls.
The box is up! Now to paint...
I had some white trim paint leftover from a previous project, so I used it to paint the moulding and cover the little nails used to affix the moulding to the wall.
After the white moulding paint dried, I started on the inside. I used Sherwin Williams Open Air, which I had used on my dining room ceiling (it adjoins the living room).
The painting is complete! Now the fun part- removing the tape...
It turned out just as I hoped, adding height and interest to the expansive beige wall.
I then added art above each slipper chair.
And some sconces I scored the other week.